Monday, May 12, 2014

Stroller Strides


ORIGINALLY POSTED--Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stroller Strides

Last weekend I went through the Stroller Strides Instructor Training Program again. I did it simply to earn CECs (Continuing Education Credits) since I was originally certified in 2008.
Sitting in that conference room all weekend re-learning all about prenatal and postpartum fitness made me think about the first day I tried Stroller Strides.
The #1 reason I went? I had a coupon! #2 I didn't know any mothers, except for one neighbor -- and when we had playdates I always felt I was doing motherhood wrong.
I remember getting dressed-- none of my old workout clothes fit, and even if they had I wasn't read to be that scantily clad. I couldn't believe how long it took me to get out the door with baby Zoe, then 6 months old. Water for me, snack for her, blankets, clean diaper, toys, stroller... the list was endless! Gone were the days of getting ready 15 minutes before I had to be somewhere-- I used to be great at that!
I arrived, self-conscious and worried. Worried about:
  • Being the fattest mom there
  • Zoe crying the whole time
  • No one else going through what I was going through
  • Keeping up
  • Finishing the class
  • Having fun
  • Making friends
  • Having other moms judge me
Sometimes these thoughts can paralyze new moms. I know they paralyzed me. I was happy bonding with Zoe at home, I was worried about cutting into that time to take an hour to work on something as vain as 'getting thin'. I was worried I'd be roped into a multitude of activities I didn't want to do. I was worried people would say it was unnatural that I felt like 24/7 wasn't enough time with my baby.
It didn't take many classes before I suddenly felt happier--- and more like "Emily". I had friends! Zoe had friends--whoa! And I looked forward to getting there---- crazy packing of the car and all. It turned out-- even though every mom I met was different-- no one was judging. Sometimes one mom would cry and then everyone started! Sometimes we'd chat and giggle and get in trouble with the instructor. What fun to know we were still women who people looked forward to seeing. It's different making friends as a mom. The criteria are different. It's not "Did we vote for the same person?" it's "Our kids didn't sleep through the night till the were TWO!" For me, in that first year (I've now just begun Year #4 with Stroller Strides) it was the feeling that baby was central to everything, but Mommy's health and happiness was the foundation--- and sharing that journey with other women going through it. The embracing of that concept still has me coming back every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment