Monday, May 12, 2014

From a mom: Please don't cut education!


Originally posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011

From a mom: Please don't cut education!

This is the letter I just wrote to our Florida Legislature and two newspapers (7 letters sent).
If you would like to write a similar letter, please write to all members of the Florida Legislature here:
charles.mcburney@myfloridahouse.gov
ronald.renuart@myfloridahouse.gov
mike.weinstein@myfloridahouse.gov
hill.tony.web@flsenate.gov
wise.stephen.web@flsenate.gov


_________________________________________________________

Dear Senator Hill:
As a parent of two small children, I am concerned about the massive cutsRick Scott is proposing to the education budget. 

We are already 50th in the nation for education-- how can we justify CUTTING the education budget?  Children are not a business and education cannot be treated as such-----children come with all different kinds of baggage-- any good company would toss the bad ones-- schools cannot do that--these are children.

I have a 3.5 year old and a 10 month old.  Yesterday I enrolled my daughter in VPK and I am so excited about this opportunity for her-- I am praying it won't be cut by the time my baby is ready to go in 3 years!  Especially for kids who've been home with their parents, they NEED this year of transition to make them successful-- it was one of the reasons we moved back to Florida in 2009.
My husband is a 4th grade teacher--- we live modestly so I can stay home with both girls-- something that is VERY important to both of us--being there in these beginning years.  I want to feel secure that my husband will keep his teaching job-- a job where his students love him, he enjoys making a difference and works with what he's given.  How can deeper cuts even be entertained?
I graduated high school in Florida in 1998.  I got a great education here--- specifically in the arts-- no other state compared.  I was accepted as one of TEN into Penn State's Musical Theatre program---ranked 5th in the nation--- precisely because my high school had prepared me so well.
It is the constitutional duty of the Florida Legislature to meet the educational,
environmental, and health care needs of our children. Even in this time of
economic uncertainty, the Legislature needs to step forward and provide the
leadership that will find solutions to this budget shortfall.
As a mother, and someone who believes strongly in public education, I implore you not to cut education funds any further, and if possible, find ways to increase the support to make our kids competitive.
Sincerely,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment