Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Nursing Baskets


A nursing basket is a nice idea for a second (or third!) time mom IF you know they are going to be nursing.  I like this for a Baby Sprinkle gift.

Breastfeeding can be a challenge for a number of reasons--- but one of them that is EASILY solved is that you inevitably settle in and forget something... you get it, settle in, and have forgotten something else.  In a fragile postpartum state, this can be enough to send you into tears.

For other breastfeeding challenges-- bookmark this site: www.kellymom.com

Please know that SO many of us have been there and it doesn't always come "naturally" like we think it should, but it is so worth it.  For me, especially with my first, those first 6 weeks were filled with SO many tears, but then things got much better!

But... ON TO THE BASKETS!

Two of my oldest friends who are pregnant with #1 liked the idea when I was mentioning it, so this post is for them so they can set up their own (since they, sadly, live 2,440 and 892 miles away from where I live).  Shout out to Mimi and Rachel due just weeks apart from me, yippee!

Cost of project:
Depending on how much you want to deck out your basket, you can make a pretty simple one for $10-15 including the basket.  The trick for me was starting 2 months ahead so you can stock up on sales.  (Luna bars, lotions, chapsticks, etc.)

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves--and this is the note I laminate and tuck inside:

In your nursing basket
This nursing basket can be kept in any place you regularly nurse, it’s nice to have one by the couch and one by your bed.  I am one of those moms whose babies have looooooooooong nursing sessions and I’m always forgetting—or wishing I had—one of these things over the 45 minute session, so I love having a portable “nursing station”. I hope you find this basket useful! Happy nursing!  -Emily



1.  Coconut oil*
2.  Disposable nursing pads (in case all your cloth ones are all drip-drying!)
3.  Burp cloth for wiping spills
4.  Water
5.  Lotion & chapstick
6.  Hair ties
7.  Snacks
8.  Bracelet (for remembering which side you last nursed on)
9.  Pen & paper

add on your own:

1.  Book/magazine
2.  TV remote
4.  Phone
5.  Swaddle blanket (doubles as a cover)
6.  Laptop/iPad



Tips:  Let your older “baby” help you keep this stocked. Keep this checklist tucked at the bottom.
My favorite lactation consultant in town:  Kristin Gartner: 904.568.0581

*Coconut oil is safe for baby to eat and is a natural anti-fungal, so it prevents thrush.  It’s slippery, so helps prevent cracking or sore nipples.  It must be 100% virgin coconut oil.  Coconut oil is also great for infant massage, and take a tablespoon to increase your milk supply.  You can read more about coconut oil by Googling “coconut oil & breastfeeding”.


All the items listed for 2 nursing baskets


Small cup to hold the tiny stuff:  Pen, Lactation Consultant business card, Coconut  Oil, Chapstick
Also-- for the bracelet, if you want to splurge, I do like these.  
(I just had my 5 year old make the ones pictured below.)

Completed nursing basket!
A simpler version of the basket I made as my upstairs basket

No comments:

Post a Comment