Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Coconut Oil... make your own dispenser


***Please talk to your lactation consultant before following my advice.  (Although, question it if they say something that conflicts with  the below info!)

I learned about coconut oil in 2010 after having my second baby.
 I HATED using lanolin on my nipples for breastfeeding with my first baby and WISH I'd known about coconut oil!  My lactation consultant for baby #2 told me about it when baby was just 48 hours old, and it's my mission to pass the info along to as many nursing moms as I can!

First--- let me post just a little about the uses and benefits.  But-- just a LITTLE-- because this post is more about how to make your own dropper bottle full of coconut oil.

Click here to read WAY more about coconut oil.


  • Safe for baby and easy to digest
  • Helps make nipples more slippery which makes it hard for baby to damage your nipple (this is my #1 reason I use it, no more cracked, bleeding nipples!)
  • Coconut oil is anti-bacterial--prevents thrush
  • 3.5 tbsp per day increases milk supply!
  • Great for baby massage
  • Great to prevent diaper rash


Coconut oil is (obviously) very oily and pretty much only comes in a jar.  I decided to use an empty infant Tylenol bottle (well-rinsed) back in 2010 to drop it directly onto my nipples to avoid it all over my hands--it was also quicker, more discreet, and I could even just pull my bra cup out a little any time and drop it on there.  TIP-- Only use with nursing pads, or you may oil stain your shirt or bra.

A smaller bottle also makes it easier to quickly warm up.  (Sometimes I'd go to dip my finger in the jar and it would be solid-- coconut oil solidifies at 75 degrees!)  Because I have huge boobs, esp when nursing-- I actually warm it UNDER my breast in a bout 30 seconds.  But you could warm it between your legs.  :)

I am pregnant with #3 and wanted to make a few more dropper bottles... and it seems infant Tylenol now no longer has a dropper, but a syringe.  BLERG!

But-- turned out to be a good thing, because I found these awesome glass droppers on Amazon.

Needs/ cost for project:
$12.71/ 12 glass bottles, 1oz each
$9/ jar of virgin unrefined coconut oil (must be unrefined) usually sold in 14 oz bottle
Labels, funnel,  & contact paper I had around the house

So-- these bottles are great because they are only about $1 a bottle, they are glass, so you don't have any "leachy" plastic, they are brown so the oil stays less damaged by light.

 1 oz bottles



 Just to give you a scale--AA battery next to the bottle for size


Shipping labels, 2" x 4", cut about 1/2 centimeter off the top before sticking them on the bottles 


 I tried ModPodge first, but contact paper seemed like the better choice.  You can't quite see it here, but it ModPodge made it pucker a bit and didn't seem as water-tight.  It might get oily no matter what you do, but contact paper should cut down on a gross outer bottle.




 Finished bottles!

Showing you north/east/west/south of the bottles.  :)


GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment