Thursday, October 16, 2014

Comfort zones

I was thinking today how overwhelmed I was in my early 20s by all the things I hadn't yet explored-- or even found out about.  I remember someone telling me "It's just as important to find out what you don't like as it is to find out what you DO like."  That's good advice.  Looking back on my college and immediate post-college graduation years--- it took awhile to figure out what I liked and what I didn't-- it sounds so easy... like checking boxes... but it isn't.  Especially if a lot of peers like something and you feel you SHOULD.

But there is a gift in the not knowing... it means everything is a possibility.  This is also overwhelming, but as I've aged, and figured out what I like and don't like-- I realize I can get a bit too comfortable saying no to things I don't like.  I don't think I should necessarily try them JUST because they aren't in my comfort zone-- but constantly putting yourself in situations that might risk discomfort is maybe what keeps you young?  Or fosters bursts of growth, maybe?




No comments:

Post a Comment