Monday, November 16, 2015

Learning my Daughter



I realized today... my oldest child (8 yrs) hates authority. Like-- yes, no kids enjoy authority, but she naturally hates it. There are very few teachers she likes, which is surprising because she is a good student, creative, avid reader, puts forth lots of effort.

And I wonder if this is because she is not seen for who she is inside versus on the outside. She identifies as an introvert. Maybe it's just some instinct--maybe she just she craves exploring things on her own.

I asked her today, "If you could have any type of lesson: dance, gymnastics, flute, piano, karate, anything... what would you pick?"

"Nothing." she said, "I'd pick going home and doing my own thing alone. I hate teachers telling me what to do."
I said, "But this would be a new teacher and different group of kids."

"I don't want ANOTHER teacher telling me what to do."
Very interesting conversation, wanted to get it all down.

No comments:

Post a Comment