Friday, November 6, 2015

9 months up, 9 YEARS down.


I'm always torn about celebrating weight loss.  Yes, yes, yes, we want people to be healthy.
But is that really what most people are celebrating?  It seems to me most people are celebrating how someone LOOKS.  And I don't want to contribute to that celebration when there so much hard stuff we not only don't celebrate, but want women to shut up about.  (Birth is hard, nursing is hard, we like to talk about it!)
That said, losing weight can be tough work.  And for me, it was tough... and slow... and frustrating.  But certainly not even in the top 3-5 hardest obstacles I've overcome in the almost 9 years since I became a mom.

I found out I was pregnant in November 2006.  Now it's November 2015.

You know what they say... 9 months up... 9... years?... down.  Ah, well!

As I told my kids, I finally decided it was time for me to lose all the extra weight I  put on during 3 pregnancies because I couldn't swing all the fun physical tricks I used to do in my performing days.  I wanted to feel agile again.  It took knowing I was done having babies, and being done breastfeeding to finally feel motivated enough.

What did I do? Honestly?  I just ate less.  A lot less. About half of what I was eating.  I haven't been exercising nearly as much as I'd like, but I tracked my eating on My Fitness Pal every day from Dec 1- July 1 and then I just mentally tracked.  I didn't restrict any type of food.  (Though I have been a vegetarian since 2008).  Stopped eating 3-5 hrs before bed each night.  That's all.  Easier aid than done, but nothing complicated on paper.

I've lost 39 pounds in 11 months.

Here is me last year on my 35th birthday and today on my 36th... I'm about 75% of the way to my goal):


Here's to hard work and strength and joy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment