Friday, November 20, 2015

Being Uncomfortable

I heard last week on NPR that the primary feeling associated with the act of compassion is... discomfort.

It was an epiphany for me.

Since becoming a parent 8+ years ago, I recognize that my biggest weakness is probably compassion.  I like to keep things moving, I can't stand constant whining and crying... I'm constantly reminding myself to take a breath and dig deep for compassion.

But this revelation makes so much sense... the act of compassion usually triggers discomfort.

I hate being uncomfortable.  Okay, I mean, everyone does, sure.  But... I can't seem to do a plank for 60 seconds not because it's painful but I just don't like the feeling, so I stop.   I actively avoid discomfort where I can.  That's not a life well lived.  A good life includes discomfort which is almost always a side effect of growth.  I certainly don't want to stop growing.

So, here's to a little discomfort going a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment