Thursday, October 29, 2015

A Full Circle Moment

This year my daughter started Kindergarten at XXX School.  Starting Kindergarten is one of those milestones that feels big, because somehow, the first day of Kindergarten seems to mark a leap ahead in the growing up process.  I can even remember going off to Kindergarten at Cohen Hillel Academy in Massachusetts in 1985... I wore mismatched socks to be like Punky Brewster and one of those plastic charm necklaces where the charms clipped on and off and you could trade with friends.  And jelly shoes... Of course jelly shoes.  My teacher was Mrs. Reiss Baker and I remember she talked to us with a very kind voice and I loved listening to her read us stories.


My daughter loves her teacher this year. Ms. Lewis has tons of energy and is getting them passionate about reading.  A few weeks into the year, our monthly PJ Library book arrived.  My kindergartener opened it, looked at the pictures and handed it to me, "Read it, mommy!"
I opened my mouth to read the title, and staring back at me, right there on the cover... "by Sharon Reiss Baker". What?! I did what anyone would do in 2015... I Googled her! Yep, she wrote it!  I read the book to my daughter and got a little teary-eyed.  I explained to her, "Do you know who wrote this book? My kindergarten teacher!  And here you are, my little kindergartener, reading a book written by your mommy's kindergarten teacher!"  That night, I used the email Google found on her writer's website and wrote to Mrs. Reiss Baker.  She replied the very next day and within her lovely letter said, "I loved seeing the picture of your daughter.  You do know that she looks incredibly like you as a kindergartener, right? In other words, adorable."
Oh, also? She told me I could call her "Sharon" now.  I guess I'm all grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment